And just in case this isn't already evident: 'the views expressed in this blog are not representative of the United States Government or the U.S. Peace Corps but are my personal expressions and experiences" :)

Monday, October 1, 2012

Upbeat updates


I am happy to announce that my reading speed has decreased! Yes, I am finally now busy enough to NOT have time to read a book a day :)

My English club has been absolutely awesome – we started with about 8 people and are now no less than 19 dedicated and enthusiastic members! We range from ages 12 to 36 and meet 6 hours a week. We’ve created a wonderful environment of learning and laughter; we sing, play games, read aloud… everyone helps one another, everyone actively participates in grammar lessons, and a lot of students even come to class with their own ideas for activities! I still lead the sessions, but I’m so happy that we have a much more “group-effort” feel instead of the typical formal classroom environment. And already I occasionally hear my English Club members yell out greetings to me in English when I’m walking through town!

My Portuguese and Citswa tutors are equally amazing. They are both professors in town and are really friendly, knowledgeable and eager for me to learn. They are also, despite me telling them I could only pay for 1 tutor at a time, adamant about both being present for every session (so I basically have 2 professors tutoring me private lessons for the price of one!) We’ve discussed my learning styles, decided on the lesson plans, and I meet with them 3 hours a week and do homework compositions and notecards on my free days. Anyone who knows how much of a dork I am with learning languages could guess that I’m in heaven :)

Hrm, what else, oh the mural I did last weekend turned out wonderful! It was for two REDES groups (Raparigas em desenvolvimento, educacao e saude – girls in development, education and health) and was held in a local secondary school in a town in my province. There were about 30 young girls who participated ranging from ages 11 to 15, 7 of us Peace Corps Volunteers to supervise the event, and the day was filled with games, songs, a guest speaker, the mural painting and activities to make jewelry. In the beginning of the day we had a brain-storming session with the girls on what they wanted the theme of the mural to be, I sketched some ideas on a blackboard for their opinions, and then I was given free artistic reign to design the mural while they worked on sewing earrings from capulana scraps. After I’d drawn the outlines of the shapes and messages in marker, the girls came out and painted everything in while we supervised and helped in with some of the trickier parts. As a final touch I asked all the girls to stick their hands into a color and put their hand print on the wall so they could always come back and know they’d helped create it. All and all it was a great success! I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect going in since the event was being held by two veteran PCVs and I was merely asked to help out, but I’m really very happy with the way it turned out!

This weekend I’m going to another nearby town to help paint a library my friend has built for her town. Okay, it wasn’t exactly “built” but she was able to have the project approved by her town’s administration, they let her use an old building near the primary school for the project, she applied for and received a grant of money for the books (not to mention personally fundraised a hefty amount of funds for books herself), and is now getting ready to put on the finishing touches for her library project! I’m so excited for her and to be able to help out, I can only hope that 1 or 2 years from now I’ll be working on a project of equal grandeur!

Also I’m finally starting to find some direction at work… While I still have no job description, I’ve succeeded to complain enough to my coworkers that we’ve decided that while I wait for a job description to materialize that we’d schedule 2 monthly palestra events (a palestra is a mix between a meeting and a training led by 1 person) with me and our 49 CD activistas (CD = Cuidados Domiciliares = home-based-care). So basically I’ll have free reign to discuss the importance of using condoms, having mosquito nets, maintaining a healthy diet, food sustainability, vertical transmission, TARVs, and all of rest of the health information I learned during training with my organization’s activistas in hopes that they then transfer the message to our 265 clients. I practiced by trying to explain what exactly HIV is to our accountant, and even though he’s a university graduate and probably understands me more than anyone else at our organization, it was pretty rough trying to explain what an immune system is in Portuguese. So yeah, a little nervous on how these palestras will go with our activistas, many of which have probably not finished secondary school…. First one’s on October 10th, I’ll let you know how it goes!

To wrap up this blog post which is getting much too long for its own good, I’m finally making some traction on getting cement inside my house! Assuming nothing falls through (which is a pretty big assumption) I should be able to schedule the work in the next coming weeks! (this is to say nothing of getting a door on the bathing area or latrine, but my eyes on small accomplishments!

Missing my friends and family dearly, as always
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment