And just in case this isn't already evident: 'the views expressed in this blog are not representative of the United States Government or the U.S. Peace Corps but are my personal expressions and experiences" :)

Monday, October 1, 2012

Garden Cheerleaders


After a month and a half of growing seeds in egg cartons, yes, I finally started my garden!

My South African friend who lives in my village had given me 5 big bags of manure, peat, straw, coconut shell mulch and wood chips (I used some to start a compost and the rest to put into the garden itself) while my Japanese friend in town had given me a bunch of lemon grass and sweet potatoes to put around my bern (a bern is the outer perimeter of a garden – good ol’ PST!) This past Tuesday was a national holiday so I took my day off to buckle down and start digging up the beds and whatnot. It’s a good thing we learned about perma-gardening in training because if I hadn’t done the famous “double dig” I would have missed all the treasure I dug up. Turns out the spot I’d chosen for my garden (let me clarify, the ONLY empty area in the quintal) is also coincidentally the location of the most recent garbage pit. My bounty included a lovely range from clothes hangers to polyester hair extensions…

The highlight of my day however wasn’t the occasional plastic bottle cap but the fact that within 2 minutes of my gardening I heard muffled giggles and turned around to see 3 of my neighbor’s children up in a tree watching me from the other side of our fence. Now, try to imagine this: 1. The place I’d chosen for my garden so happened to be in the far end of the quintal so these children were no less than 10-15 feet away from me, high up in a mango tree, leaning over a rickety old reed fence. 2. I don’t own a shovel so I was at the moment digging up trenches with a tin can. 3. I’m the only white female in the village. Haha, so yeah, I cracked up when I saw them all giggling up there and waved to them in good humor since I realized, yes, this was funny.

I’d assumed that after a few minutes of watching me they’d get bored and go off to play, but alas, 10, 15,… 30 minutes later they were not only still holding ground (or well, you know what I mean) but had tripled in numbers to include now 5 children up in the tree and 4 kids that had climbed up the fence and had their eyes peering over the top. Far from being annoyed, I honestly felt a little bad that watching some white girl dig holes in the ground was the most interesting thing they could be doing on their day off from school. So instead of shooing them away, I finally decided to put them to use! One was sent on the mission to find me a decent shovel (in a belated attempt to save any back muscles I may not have yet pulled by this point), another was given the important task of occasionally going inside to tell me the time, and the remaining children were burdened with entertaining me J

We sang songs together (after a few Portuguese songs one of the older kids ran inside the nearest house and within a few minutes out blasted Abba, Bob Marley and Michael Jackson from it), we discussed our favorite fruits (a topic that came up quite naturally sine the mango tree some of them were sitting in is currently budding baby mangoes), and I probably asked them to repeat their names no less than 3 separate times since more and more children kept on magically appearing. Eventually they lost all pretenses, climbed over the fence, and sat by the edge of the garden on the ground watching me as if I were a captivating TV show. At one point some of the more annoying kids in the neighborhood came by and started throwing rocks into my garden to bother me… not realizing now that I had acquired a posy, the culprits were immediately besieged with a wave of angry yelling from my new friends.

The hours slipped by and before I realized it I was late for a lunch date I was supposed to have with a friend in a nearby town. I bid my audience a quick farewell, hauled the remaining bags of mulch and whatnot back to my veranda, quickly changed out of my manure-covered clothes, and was running outside to lock the door when I realized my entire fan-club was standing outside my door. I assumed they hadn’t understood me when I said I needed to go and I was about to explain again why I must leave both them and my garden half-finished, but then I realized that the kids in the middle of the group were hiding something behind their back. Looking up bashfully, the children presented me with a big papaya and thanked me for spending the day with them.

Yeah. “Adorable” doesn’t even cut it.
All and all, I didn’t finish my garden but now when I walk down the dirt path home from work I occasionally am assaulted with a mob of children running to come hug me. All for letting them watch me garden J

PS: I decided to play hooky on Friday and stay home in the morning to finish up potting my seedlings and, lo-and-behold, magically within the first 2 minutes again I heard the familiar ruffle of tree branches and looked up to see my friends grinning widely from up in the mango tree

2 comments: