And just in case this isn't already evident: 'the views expressed in this blog are not representative of the United States Government or the U.S. Peace Corps but are my personal expressions and experiences" :)

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Adventures of Pip


10/23/12

Some of you may recall that I had mentioned a few posts ago that my neighbor’s cat had given birth to 3 kittens, and that one of these kittens had been promised a home with yours truly. Well, at long last the time had finally come for my neighbors to get rid of the little rascals so they called me over to pick up my new child. I never really had a choice in which kitten I would adopt (which was probably a good thing considering my debilitating indecisive nature). You see, between the 3 kittens there were 2 white ones and one little black one…  I was given the little black ball of fur.

That first night was rough. I know that the first night a new kitten or puppy is taken away from the only home they’d ever known and their family is supposed to be hard, but I’d vastly underestimated how much more difficult it would be when you live next door to the kitten’s first home. Needless to say that within the first hour of bringing my new baby girl home (at least I think the kittens a she….) her mother heard her crying and stationed herself on the other side of my reed walls. Hour. After. Hour. I had to watch this poor baby kitty cry her eyes out for her mama who was just out of reach wailing for her baby on the other side of my porous walls. I tried to return the kitten to my neighbors but they refused to take her back so quickly, wanting me to wait a few days before I make up my mind. I spent a good deal of that first night (and the following few ones afterwards) trying to calm her down but those high pitched squeaking cries of hers never waned. I have rarely in my life felt like a villain, but that night was one of those nights I could imagine myself in a Cruella Deville get-up crackling evilly.

Anyways, you know that saying: “if you can’t beat them join them”? By Day #2 I went against everyone’s warnings and let mama cat come in to be gloriously reunited with her stolen baby. Touching eh? Except, sadly, the moment the mama ran into my house and spotted the bowls of milk, shrimp + rice, dry kitten food, etc. lying on the floor, well, I guess you can say her priorities changed. Instead of running to the kittens rescue she made a B-line for the food, and (yea it gets worse) when the lil’ baby came to her mama herself she was rudely hissed at and swatted away. Big mama became territorial. To make matters worse, the neighbor’s cat decided right then and there that I was her new best friend and put on her cat-charm full force: purring, rubbing against my legs, trying to get me to pet her and jumping to sit on my lap, etc. Now I’m not saying that I’m prejudice against older cats and only like kittens, no no no. It was just that I was still seeing this whole debacle through the lens of a Disney movie starring my poor baby. Now, not only has the evil human stolen the poor little kitten out of the safe warm confines of her home, she’s (inadvertently since I really didn’t mean to do this!) turned the kitten’s sole rescuer against her. HER OWN MOTHER! I sat there petting mama cat while poor baby kitten watched from the adjoined room, and every time the kitten would crawl over to her mama the heartless feline would hiss her away. Heartbreaking, I know.

Anyways, that dry cat food for kittens was pretty darn $$ (about a day’s salary) so eventually I stopped feeding mama Cat, which was fine by me now that I knew she was crying outside my door for the food in little pip squeak’s bowls and not to console her terrified baby. I gladly took over the mama role with the baby kitten, and by the end of the 1st week little miss meowmers was eating dry food, using her kitty litter box, and purring when I pet her (which is still kind of hard because her entire body can fit in 1 hand.)

It’s been a whole 2 weeks now and Pip (short for Pip Squeak) and I are just 2 peas in a pod – except maybe our sleeping schedules, still need to work on syncing those up. I’ll post a picture of her on the blog as soon as I can get her to sit still long enough to take one J

Ate o proximo!
E & P

ps: Here's a quick video of Pip :)



No comments:

Post a Comment