And just in case this isn't already evident: 'the views expressed in this blog are not representative of the United States Government or the U.S. Peace Corps but are my personal expressions and experiences" :)

Saturday, June 2, 2012

a few steps back

okay

I think I need to recap a little now. I know I mashed these last few months into a few sentences but with all the kindness, thoughtfulness, and love that the people of my life had poured onto me the very least I could do is give them a little blog recognition!

now where to begin? Let's start with work. I cannot say enough how incredibly luck I had been with my first job out of college. I know it sounds like a cliche but I really felt like part of a family at the IDB, a huge latino family :) my colleagues, my boss, my supervisors, everyone was just so caring and fun-loving that it was a very difficult decision to leave work 2 weeks earlier than expected (yes, I had to have weeks of family and friends counsel me in order tell my work that I needed to leave mid April instead of at the end of the month.... pathetic or just plain love?) They took me out to some awesome lunches, breakfasts, froyos, HHs, and then to top it off they threw me an AMAZING going away party. Complete with Mozambican music, a Mozambican table cloth, food, cake, decorations, fun facts, and gifts for my travels:



Thank you so much FMS!!!!

whew, okay, next I want to thank my beautiful friends. My blondie and red head took me out on a full-day of adventures including breakfast at my favorite local coffee shop NS, rented a car, took me to a vineyard and then to a delicious farm-table restaurant (all of which complete with personal guitarist and barbershop quartet:

miss you both terribly (comment directed to the striped men of course)

Some other lovely friends took me out on my last night in DC for a night of celebrating, dancing, and, of course, roasting! they had speeches prepared, dances choreographed, videos taped, props, and so much good humor and love that I spent the entire night laughing and crying (either from embarrassment, laughter or sadness is up for debate!) We posted some of the videos on youtube but here are links to some of the most popular: 

it was an epic night and I am so so grateful for everyone who was a part of it. thank you for making my last night at home so memorable.

A special thanks to my wonderful roommate (also referred to roommate for life, RFL) without whom I most definitely would have been able to get my life together to be where I am right now. She's honesty one of the most amazing women I've been lucky enough to meet, let alone live with for several years. xoxo

whew, okay so after I left work, finished my semester (with straight As believe it or not!), said good bye to dear friends in DC, moved all of my life up to my parent's home in CT (all of this within a matter of 2 weeks), I spent another 2 weeks unpacking my boxes, packing my bags, and traveling around CT, VT, MA and NY saying more goodbyes.  It was stressful, hectic, and very rushed but I was able to fit in most of the people I loved (and if I wasn't able to see a few of you I'm so sorry!) My little cousin is also moving to Africa with the Peace Corps so we were able to share some family functions and compare packing situations (although he'd been packed and ready weeks in advance whereas I had my packing gurus come the night before my flight to stay up with me and pack until the wee hours of the morn.) All and all, it was filled with encouraging wishes and loving goodbyes. If it hadn't been for all of my childhood best friends, BU besties, and wonderful family members there's no way I would have been able to get on that plane. Love you all so much.

WHEW!

Throughout all of these emotional and stressful last weeks I'd managed to stay composed, not breakdown and not have any panic attacks (for those who know me well this may shock you.) The moment did finally come though, as I was sure it would. My parents had driven me to the airport at 6am on Tuesday morning. My mother was so strong and didn't cry once while kissing me goodbye and my father was a rock, as he always is (despite the fact that he would be getting on a plane himself later that day to fly to Turkey for about a month). They stood and watched me as I shuffled through security (the guards had to take everything out of my carry-on because of the sharp edges on my flash cards - go figure.) And as I walked out of the gate onto the dingy plane from New Haven, CT to Philadelphia, PA I looked behind me to see them standing by the fence in the closest corner of the parking lot waving good bye. I climbed onto the plane, (my huge bags took up an entire extra seat behind me) and as the flight took off and I watched them waving into he distance the tears silently streamed down my cheeks. Not because I was afraid, not because I was sad, but because I was so incredibly grateful for their unconditional love. All of the people I've said good bye to this past month have been so surprisingly compassionate, giving and thoughtful - I honestly cannot understand why or how I deserved so much love in my life but I will carry it with me these next two years (and do't forget - it's ONLY TWO YEARS!) I'll be back before you know it, promise ;)

Okay. Now that I've caught you up on my past few weeks, here's a taste of the next 10: I will be living in Namaacha, Mozambique (on the border with Swaziland) with a woman named Cecilia who is 62 years old and her 12 year old granddaughter Neli. While other female volunteers will be set up with households of 5-8 people including several men and women in their 20s and 30s, I could not ask for a better set-up than the hand I've been drawn. I'm so very much looking forward to meeting my new family tomorrow, and hopefully the next post I write will be as positive as I'm feeling tonight (they call this period the honeymoon phase of our PC experience... ;)

big hugs from my last night in Maputo!

xoxo


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for giving us a reason to celebrate :)

    Emily's going away!!! See ya!!!

    ReplyDelete