And just in case this isn't already evident: 'the views expressed in this blog are not representative of the United States Government or the U.S. Peace Corps but are my personal expressions and experiences" :)

Friday, June 29, 2012


6/29/2012

Finishing up Week 4!! Or as my fellow volunteer phrased it this morning: 1 month down, 26 to go!
My 5:30AM running pals and I tend to compare it to a marathon: first few miles/ months are rough, there will inevitably be 1 (or a few) seemingly insurmountable walls, but then after getting over those walls we’ll catch the runners high and those middle months/ miles will just slide on by before we know it, and then those last few months/ miles will seemingly fly by. Of course, none of us have ever actually run a full marathon… haha, but I’d like to think that if I can do the PC marathon then one day I’ll be able to run one as well (sound logic, right?)

Actually, there’s a ~14 mile loop around Namaacha that my running palls and I want to run before we leave training - it goes up in the mountains and around the border between Mozambique and Swaziland. We ran it for about 5 miles yesterday morning and it was absolutely breathtaking running through the winding 1-lane road with 7ft tall grasses on both sides while the sunrise slowly painted the sub-Saharan mountain prairies around us. Me and another volunteer both ran our first half marathons this past year so we’re relatively familiar with the training regimen necessary to prepare our bodies for 2 or more hours of running - but we’ll see if we’re actually motivated enough to actually build up our mileage from 5-14 miles in 1 month! Not to mention the small obstacle that I only brought my minimalist shoes with me (which really shouldn’t be used for runs over 3-5mi) and left my trainers at home…. Oops. L

Okay, sorry I'd wanted this blog post to be longer but it's time to run back to training.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA!!!

xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment