And just in case this isn't already evident: 'the views expressed in this blog are not representative of the United States Government or the U.S. Peace Corps but are my personal expressions and experiences" :)

Monday, July 30, 2012

BIG NEWS!


Big news in the exciting world of mosquito nets and bucket baths…

Ready for this?

We received our site placements! [insert gasp] The decision written on that single sheet of paper held my entire future for the next 2 years of my life, no big deal. But yeah, I had a few nerve wracking days and sleepless nights leading up to the announcement (!!) Will I live by the coast in the south or in the mountains of the north? La out in the matu (which is portuglish for way out in the middle of nowhere) or in an urban city? Will be closest Peace Corps neighbor live next door or 9 hours away? WHO will my closest Peace Corps neighbors be? Will I work for a religious faith-based organization, a disorganized budding community organization, a structured international organization, a hectic underfunded hospital…? Will my house be in a quintal of another family (like a family compound), in a straw hut, a cement block, or a tin shed? Will I have electricity? Running water? Thousands of what ifs to consider, and if you know me then you know I’m a chronic planner (just a little bit.)

Okay, enough of the background info.

My new home town: the small rural district capital of Morrumbene in Inhambane province!! It’s near the coast which is nice because a) I’ll have access to fresh sea food and b) I’m pretty close to some dang beautiful beaches (and some awesome scuba diving!) The town is on the national highway so I should also have regular access to fresh local fruits and vegetables which is a biggie for me. I’m about 20 minute from Maxixe which is a bigger town/city where I can purchase anything not found in the smaller villages. From Maxixe I can take a 30min boat ride to Inhambane City, the provincial capital, which I’m told is a cozy beach town with a pretty ethnically diverse population. The city is 20min from Tofu beach which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the country. That’s all I’ve gathered thus far on the town, but I’m sure I’ll be able to fill you all in with some more information once I get there in 2 weeks (I leave training on Aug 8th, will stay in Maputo for a conference for a few days, but should be all moved in by the 13th!)

My new job: I’ll be working with an organization called Kuvuneka that runs an OVC center (OVC = orphans and vulnerable children). The organization provides home based care and community outreach for PLWHA (people living with HIV/AIDS), and income generation projects. I’ll be doing activities with the kids, capacity building with the activistas, designing projects, monitoring and evaluating programs, writing grants, networking, and occasionally working with the larger organization ICAP at the local hospital.
Yep. Eight more days. Eight more days until I meet the community which will become my family for the next 2 years of my life. Where will I be 1 month from today? 14 months from today?  BAHHH!

On an unrelated note: I ran the 13mi loop last weekend with my minimalist shoes, a loaf of Namaacha bread, and my nalgene water bottle. It was mostly to scope it out so we decided to take our time and walk parts of it. Took us a solid 3 hours up and down and up and back down again the mountains of the south east Africa - it was absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could have brought my camera, but I didn’t want to risk having it stolen / didn’t want an extra item to carry. I have to say, not a single Mozambican was even slightly impressed with our run. It’s probably because us telling them we ran 21 KM equals about the normal amount they’d have to walk in a day anyways. Regardless, it was an amazing experience and I hope I can keep up running along the Mozambican countryside after I lose my 5am running buddies.

And in less uplifting news, my computer has a “short-cut virus” L which is why I wasn’t able to update you all on my site placement sooner. If anyone with regular internet access and half a brain for computers has any ideas on how to get rid of it I’d be much obliged! I’ve already ran all of the free anti-virus software I have on my computer (even on safe-mode) but they haven’t been able to remove it. I’m going to try to purchase and download real anti-virus software once I get to site and can get a modem to buy secure and steady internet connections, so if anyone has any recommendations on which one to go with please send me a line!

Okay, that’s the gist of things right now. Hope everyone back home is doing well - big hugs and kisses!

3 comments:

  1. Gahhhh!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!!! That is so exciting! I'm so proud of you I think I might pee my pants! Or have a bottle of wine in your honor. When you get to your placement in a few weeks, let me know if there is anything I can send you!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes yes to beaches & seafood!!!

    If you can go running at 5 in the morning, you can do anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy you updated. I was getting a little concerned about your lack of "regularity" that you had at first but figured you were probably busy, etc... keep the updates coming. Love you and it's good to know you are safe!!!

    ReplyDelete